Six months into the “new normal” with no end in sight, you could argue that portable products have been rendered useless. What good is a portable coffee brewer for your daily commute when there are no daily commutes? How useful could a travel coffee maker be when travel has been restricted since March? Why would anyone need an on-the-go coffee bottle when there’s nowhere to go?
Sure, the Soma Brew Bottle does seem more like a pre-COVID-19 era-product. It’s very 2018. (In fact, 2018 was the year it took home the “Best New Product” award at the Specialty Coffee Association’s (SCA) expo in Seattle. Nevertheless, this handy, double-wall glass coffee maker has actually ended up being one of those gifts that made my shelter-in-placing more bearable.
I’ll elaborate: As a single (actually, I prefer the term “available”) person living on her own, I’ve struggled every morning to brew the correct amount of coffee in a traditional coffee maker. Trying to brew a single cup of coffee yields a watery product, but brewing a larger pot leaves you with excess coffee that ends up down the drain.
The Soma Brew Bottle, however, is specially designed to brew a perfect, 12-ounce serving — incidentally, the perfect portion for an available, under-caffeinated writer. The stainless steel filter lets you whip up perfect-size batches of hot coffee, cold brew, or even (if you must) loose leaf tea.
Bonus? It’s got a sturdy Tritan flip-top lid that protects your computer keyboard from spillage. As someone with a tendency to knock coffee, water, and (er, sometimes) beer onto innocent laptops, I’m especially grateful for this seemingly overlookable feature.
But enough about me. You’ve come to learn more about the mighty Soma Brew Bottle to determine whether it deserves a spot under your tree this holiday season. Read on, intrepid gift buyer, for a straightforward, unbiased Soma Brew Bottle review.
Summary: Soma Brew Bottle
A coffee brewer and travel mug all in one, the Soma Brew Bottle brews up hot and cold coffee or tea. It’s made with a BPA-free, double-walled glass for extra insulation, and a hyper-fine stainless steel filter to keep loose coffee ground, tea, and any other sediment from escaping into your drink.
- Price: $32.11 from Amazon; $40 from Soma
- Value for money: 3.9 out of 5
- Volume: 12 ounces
- Height: 9.1 inches
- Width: 2.8 inches
- Body: BPA-free, borosilicate glass
- Lid: Recycled plastic
- Lid: Hyper-fine stainless steel
|What we like||What we don’t like|
|Awarded “Best New Product” for 2018 from Specialty Coffee Association||Glass cracks and shatters easily|
|Good for coffee, cold brew, tea, or water||Not microwavable|
|Brews single-serving, 12-ounce portions||Can only brew one single 12-ounce serving at a time|
|Simple to use||Not safe for children|
|Certified B Corp, BPA-free glass|
|Glass water bottle an eco-friendly alternative to disposable coffee cups or plastic water bottles|
Soma Brew Bottle instructions
Even for the uninitiated home brewer, the Soma Brew Bottle is easy to use, and every order includes clear, straightforward instructions.
Here’s an overview of how to use a Soma Brew bottle:
- For pour-over coffee. Scoop two tablespoons of medium-fine ground coffee into the filter. Heat up 12 ounces of water to 205 degrees, or slightly below boiling. Slowly, pour the hot water over the coffee grounds in a circular motion until the filter is full. Let the water drain all the way out, and then repeat until the bottle is full.
- For cold brew. Fill the glass bottle with 10 ounces of room-temperature water. Scoop four tablespoons of coarse ground coffee into the filter before placing it into the water and screwing on the lid. Place the bottle in the refrigerator to cool for 12 to 16 hours. Remove the filter before drinking.
- For loose leaf tea. Scoop two tablespoons of your favorite loose tea leaves into the filter. Boil 12 ounces of water and pour over the leaves before steeping to desired strength.
How to clean a Soma Brew Bottle
All of the components of the Soma Brew Bottle is dishwasher friendly. Note that it’s best to wash the plastic lid and filter on the top rack. In between dishwasher washes, clean all the parts with a fragrance-free, mile soap. Once a month, soak the filter in a 2:1 mix of water and vinegar to prevent oil buildup.
What users are saying about the Soma Brew Bottle
In general, users agree that the bottle is easy to use and makes high-quality pour-over and cold brew coffee. However, one major complaint is that the glass is not shatterproof and very easy to break.
Top customer reviews:
- “The directions are helpful and it’s easy to clean and use and I love having cold brew to bring to work, but I had it for three days dropped it once and it completely shattered.” – Mellyn Costello
- “It makes the most amazing pour-over and cold brew coffee. No grinds in your coffee and keeps your beverage hot/cold for hours! ” – Amazon Customer
- “Unfortunately this product is only amazing until the glass shatters.” – Alexander Wolf
Who should get a Soma Brew Bottle?
Thanks to its portable design and sturdy Titan lid, the Soma Brew Bottle makes an excellent gift for coffee drinkers and/or tea lovers who are frequently on the go. Its 12-ounce brewing capacity makes it a solid choice for single, work-from-home professionals.
On the other hand, because the Soma Brew Bottle is made of glass, it’s fairly easy to break, making it an unsafe gift for children and an inadvisable gift for adults who have children. Its fragility makes the bottle ill-suited for recreational activity, so it might not be the best choice for athletes or outdoor enthusiasts.
Sleek, slender, and sophisticated, the Soma Brew Bottle excels as an at-home, single-serving coffee maker. It’s a good choice for giftees who work from home and want the convenience of being able to brew up small, personal-size batches while keeping their electronics safe from spillage with a sturdy lid.
However, the glass body makes this “travel” coffee brewer ill-suited for travel. The glass tends to shatter into many pieces, making it a hazard for users with small children.
The manufacturer, Soma, does offer a breakage guarantee and will replace the product if it does break. Still, it may not be the best choice for on-the-go use.
Ready to shop? Buy the Soma Brew Bottle now.